M O’Brien Civil Engineering LTD was contracted by Balfour Beatty, Vinci Joint venture to undertake the 2021 preparation works for the 2022 box slide over the M42 motorway which which will be the first of its kind in the UK.
Our Scope of works included:
- Early engagement and planning.
- Earthworks – 12,000m3 of excavation.
- Drainage installation for re opening of motorway.
- Pavement works.
- Removal of Notifiable non licenced asbestos infrastructure.
- Groundwater Management.
- Capping and sub base installation.
- Management of on site tip facility.
The unique construction method will see the whole structure built adjacent to its final position before being moved in to place. This method allows the whole operation to be completed with only two one-week closures of the M42 motorway over a 12 month period.
The M O’Brien team’s worked 24 hours a day throughout the 7 day period starting on Christmas eve and achieved completion ahead of schedule with no Lost time HSEQ incidents.